HOW CAN I BLOCK INCOMING CALLS?
BLOCKING INCOMING CALLS
CALLS FROM BUSINESSES / ADVERTISING CALLS
It is not possible to block calls from specific individual numbers. Below you will find tips on what to do about unwanted calls.
With annoying incoming calls you need to distinguish between:
- Reputable businesses (known company, survey)
- Dubious businesses (pushy sales, call centre where it is unclear who is behind it)
- Swindle / fraud (supposedly computer support / promise of money)
Reputable businesses communicate clearly who they are and why they are calling.
- Institute for opinion polls
- Company of which the person called is or was a customer
- Caller from a call centre that states clearly on whose behalf and for which reason the call is being made
Dubious businesses often use pushy methods and do not tell the person called on whose behalf they are calling.
- Caller from a call centre that does not clearly name the company and acts pushy
- Comparison of health insurance companies
- Telephone sales of products (wine, lotteries, subscriptions of all kinds)
Swindle / fraud
Fraudulent callers often try to entice you with quick money or threaten negative consequences if you do not comply with their demands.
- Computer support that is supposedly to solve a problem on the computer of the person called, but instead installs malware
- Supposed winnings/inheritance/etc. for which an advance payment must be made before receiving the money
HARASSMENT BY A PRIVATE INDIVIDUAL
If you receive harassing calls and messages and want to find out who they are from, you can use a form to apply for information. This applies to calls from both displayed and suppressed numbers.
You can download the form as a PDF here.
Processing takes about 3 weeks. Please note that there is a processing charge of CHF 50, regardless of whether it is successful. You will receive the bill for it along with the result.